Why Focus Personal Fitness?
Why Focus Personal Fitness?
Because we’re not a typical gym. We believe that fitness, health and wellness are essential for a balanced body and mind. We believe in teamwork, and in achieving your goals safely and effectively all within a uniquely designed fitness studio space.
Focus Personal Fitness is different, just like our members. Your customized training program is far from a prepackaged solution. Each of your personal training sessions is tailored to your individual needs, whether you are just getting started on your journey, require specialized programming to aid in rehabilitation, or are an elite athlete who wants to achieve the next level of success.
We want you to succeed. Meet the Focus staff.
Our trainers will work with you to design a flexible fitness program that works with your schedule and budget, ensuring you have accountability to achieve your goals.
The ability to be healthy and fit involves the balance of your physical, mental and emotional states. Being healthy and fit is a constant challenge as it is not a stationary target. Our daily actions influence our level of fitness and health. Constant and consistent training improves our ability to achieve a state of balance where health and fitness are at optimum levels. My goal is to provide the environment, resources and support for you to achieve your optimum balance of health and fitness. I have had the fortunate ability to work with a wide variety of individuals from youth to seniors and age group athletes to elite athletes. What continues to motivate me to share, teach and lead are those who are in pursuit of improving their individual fitness and health.
A section of my clientele is competitive and recreational athletes, from a variety of sports including soccer, volleyball, triathlon, and fitness modeling. For all my athletes, I design long-term programs for physical preparation and provide training in either team, group, or individual settings. In addition, I offer movement screening, assessments, and sports nutrition guidance. My personal training clients vary widely in age, fitness level, and exercise experience. By applying similar principles to when training athletes, we’ll start where you are and follow a logical path toward your fitness goals. My aim is that our training together feels enjoyable and non-intimidating, and supports you toward a lifetime of consistent physical activity.
Experience & Credentials:
- Masters of Physical Education from Memorial University
- Honours degree in Physical Education from Wilfred Laurier University
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) from the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
- Certified High-Performance Athletics Coach – Distance Running
- Certified Intro to Competition – Triathlon
- Certified NCCP coaching in distance running, triathlon, cycling, swimming and soccer
- Professor, St. Lawrence College – Specialization in Bonified Occupational Requirements for Law Enforcement
- Certified Defensive Tactics Instructor
- 1st Dan Black belt in Taekwondo
- Head coach for the St. Lawrence College cross country team since 2000, helping athletes win 4 Ontario gold medal championships, 1 national gold and 1 national silver
- 25+ years training/coaching individuals with a wide variety of goals and interest in sport, fitness and health
Strive for balance.
Being fit and healthy has been a primary focus for me for over thirty years. I continue to strive for a balance between work, family, healthy eating and overall wellness. Being part of the Focus team will allow me to continue to further my own commitment to overall health and wellness but more so encourage, support and motivate others to do the same.
As a wife to husband Ron, and mother to Meredith and Eliot, I understand the challenges we all face in balancing life’s responsibilities with maintaining our own health and wellness. After working for Empire Life for 31 years I am thankful and excited to be in an environment where I can relate my own experiences to help make a difference in others peoples lives.
My goal is to make your experience at Focus a positive one from the moment you step through the door.
Fitness, nutrition and a healthy body are key to a balanced lifestyle.
The year that I turned 30, I made a decision to change my lifestyle. I wanted to lose 30 pounds and become a more active person. The ten years that have followed have been an incredible journey of self-discovery. Not only did I reach my goal, I felt compelled to help others. I became a certified fitness instructor with Canfitpro and began teaching step classes, strength and muscle conditioning, yoga and stretch, low impact aerobics, and stability ball classes.
I have realized how much you can do if you really set your mind to reach a goal. Fitness, nutrition, and health of the whole body are key elements in my new life. I hope that I am able to assist my clients and participants in understanding how they can add these key points to their lives and reach their goals.
- Canfitpro Group Fitness Instructor
- CPR and First Aid certified
Live a fit life, live a healthy life.
Fitness is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. As a personal trainer and fitness instructor, I strive to bring out the best in my clients. To accomplish this, I work with my clients, understanding their needs, goals and addressing their limitations. A ‘team’ approach works well as we develop a program that is right for the client.
Monitoring, adapting, and improving, all create a safe and productive fitness program. I believe that my strength as a fitness coach is that I ensure success through motivation. We have fun! My clients will stick to their program because they enjoy it, they helped design it, and they get results.
My specialties include strength training for all fitness levels, which includes group fitness, weight training, and individual client sessions.
- Canfitpro Personal Trainer Specialist
- Canfitpro Fitness Specialist
- YMCA - Fitness Specialist Certification
- 15+ years certified Fitness Instructor – teaching for the city of Toronto and mentoring fitness instructors
If you change nothing, nothing will change.
I love watching the transformation as new clients find ways to challenge themselves to change their lives through fitness, nutrition and finding time to put themselves first! Whatever my client’s needs are, I've done it all. I design programs that are client specific and have worked with both children and adults to teach them the basics and help them start living a healthy lifestyle.
I enjoy giving intense workouts that are time efficient and allow clients to push themselves – they can enjoy their rest days knowing that their bodies have worked hard and have earned it. I also enjoy working with small and large group training and especially being a bootcamp instructor, which allows each participant to challenge themselves with new exercises.
Experience & Credentials:
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT)
- Canfitpro Fitness Instructor Specialist
- Canfitpro Personal Trainer
- Scottish Dance Teachers Alliance Associate Teacher's Certificates for Highland and National
By consistently developing and refining our foundation of fundamental movements, we can accomplish incredible things without risking injury or wearing our bodies down.
I have worked with clients of all ages and ability levels, helping them reach a variety of goals. My experience ranges from working with youth sports teams, seniors with osteoporosis, adult competitive rock climbers, and anybody in between. Each client receives a program specifically designed to meet their individual needs based on consistent and thorough mobility and strength screening.
I have helped clients resolve mobility issues, return to sport and activity after injuries, balance the asymmetries brought on by different sports and activities and dramatically increase strength, coordination, balance and technical skills.
- Fitness and Health Promotion Diploma (St. Lawrence College)
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology - Certified Personal Trainer (CSEP-CPT)
- Ontario Fitness Council - Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Trainer, Older Adult Fitness Trainer
- National Coaching Certification Program - Fundamental Movement, Competitive Level A & B Coach
- Functional Movement Systems Certification - Functional Movement Screen - Level 1
- Functional Range Conditioning - Mobility Specialist
- Precision Nutrition - Level One Nutrition Coach
- Osteoporosis Canada - Bonefit Trained
- First Aid/CPR
Health and fitness is such an important aspect of not just physical but mental well-being with consistent exercise being one of the best ways of coping with stress.
Ron retired in 2015 after almost 32 years as a Kingston City Police Officer. For 27 years, he maintained the Police fitness room as well as the defensive tactics room, that is also utilized for cross fit classes. Ron was involved in Training Police Officers at KPF and believes that Kingston has the fittest police officers in the province. Throughout his career, Ron was involved in Special Olympics and the annual Police Memorial run and bicycle ride.
Ron has always been involved in some aspect of fitness and has looked for experiences that push him physically. For the past 15 years, he has competed in mountain bike races and the past 7 years in road bike races. In the summer of 2013 with Randy Zabukovec’s coaching, Ron had the mountain bike race of his life at the World Police Fire games in Ireland and came home with a gold medal and memories of a great experience contending against Europeans in a very competitive environment.
Another of Ron's favourite races was at the WPFG in New York City where he competed in the road bike race consisting of 4 laps of Central Park. Ron enjoyed the challenge of competing against a serious and experienced group in an awesome setting.
Ron enjoys helping others including assisting in meeting fitness goals through motivation, instruction, effort and sharing of experiences. He believes in functional training exercises that are beneficial to health, sports and everyday life. The atmosphere and equipment at Focus help provide the tools to allow you to succeed in your fitness and health goals.
- Certified Police Fitness Appraisers
- Certified Fitness Consultant
- NCCP Introduction to Competition - Training Basics
- Certified Basic Cycling Skills – Competitive Cycling Coaching
- Certified CanBike Instructor
- Certified Mountain Bike Patrol Techniques
- Certified Use of Force Trainer
- Certified Emergency First Aid/CPR AED Provider
- Certified Crisis Negotiator
- Certified Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- Gold medal winner in Mountain Bike competition 2015 and 2013 at World Police Fire games
There is nothing more important in life than your health. The bad news: keeping healthy and fit is a lifelong endeavour. The good news: it doesn't have to be a drag! Because if fitness becomes a drag, are you going to stick with it? I believe staying fit can become sustainable, by including it into a healthy lifestyle, by making it social, by making it fun, and by making it feel good. I bring a wide range of skills and experience to training and keeping fit, from my many years as an athlete, a coach, a mechanical engineer, and a naval officer.
I have worked with people of all ages and skill levels, from kid-triathletes to active seniors in their 70's. I enjoy working with people who have the desire to improve themselves. I seek to help them achieve healthy, reasonable training goals, whether it be to run a 5-km race, or simply be comfortable performing everyday tasks. Additionally, my background and experience is well suited to people wanting to improve and be competitive in the areas of running, biking and swimming.
Experience & Credentials:
- Avid Runner (Boston Marathon in 2002, National XC Master Championships in 2017 & 2018 and numerous road races & track events)
- Accomplished Triathlete (2011 World Military Games in Brazil and numerous races from sprint to Ironman distance)
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering, RMC (1997)
- MASc, Mechanical Engineering, RMC (2005)
- Naval Engineering Officer, Royal Canadian Navy (1993-2013)
- Assistant Professor at RMC in Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering Department (2005-2018)
- Professional Engineer Ontario certification (1997-present)
- Coach, Tridents (Halifax military triathlon team) (2001-2005)
- Coach, RMC Varsity X-country and track (2007-2010)
- Coach, RMC Triathlon Team (2009-2012)
- Algonquin Fitness and Health Promotion Diploma (to be completed fall 2021)
- Certified Emergency First Aid, CPR & AED
- National Coaching Certification Program Community Coach for Triathlon
Bio coming soon!
Focus Training Services